Friday, January 25, 2008

Learning to Sign

I've been trying to get myself enrolled in some ASL classes but it hasn't happened yet. Then, I found out that we qualify to have a Deaf Mentor come into the home to teach all of us ASL. We met our Deaf Mentor this week. She came with the program director who is also deaf but reads lips as well. I was able to communicate with him as long as I was sitting right next to him so that he could read my lips. I used the few signs I know when possible and we only had to use pen and paper once.

Starting next week the Deaf Mentor will come to our home by herself. We will not be able to communicate orally. So it will be pen and paper and very little ASL to start. The whole family is required to attend.

I'm excited:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)