Monday, July 21, 2008

The DAM Race

I went ahead with my plans to run the Dam Race last Saturday. Thanks to those of you who have expressed interest in hearing more about it. S decided the night before to run it with me. He had never ran more than a 5K but I figured he could run the first 3 miles and then walk/run the last 1.7 if he needed to. Unfortunately, he was having trouble with the first 1.5 miles and we stopped to walk for about 20 seconds two or three different times. He was really tough about it though because I know his shins were bothering him. Surprisingly, I felt really good throughout the whole run. At the 3 mile mark I left S alone because I figured I could see him come around the lake and he would be okay. I really wanted to see what I could do as far as time goes. It was a really good run for me and I was able to finish and run back a couple blocks to run S into the finish. Overall, he only ended up being a couple minutes behind me and he finished strong. As we were waiting for the awards and prizes I ran into an old friend from my college days and we had a great time visiting. We weren't ever really close friends but she is someone who made a huge difference in my life by her example. I was able to share my thoughts with her and express my appreciation which made her cry. It's a long story worth blogging about at a later time:)

After running the race I was too lazy to walk the block back to my van to get the camera and so S and I don't have any pictures this time. Just a picture of the shirt, "I survived the DAM race". I love it!

That evening we went back to enjoy fireworks and I snapped a couple photos of my boys with their glow sticks. I don't know why the green glow stick looks like it is 3 feet long.... just another great feature of my $100 cheapo camera.






















Oh, and for strictly journaling purposes I ran the 4.7 miles in approximately 42 minutes and S came in at 45 minutes. S received a medal for placing 1st in his age group... shocked the pants off both of us and made it well worth the pain;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)