Wednesday, April 16, 2008

15 Years

Not being one who accurately remembers details from years past, somehow I've held onto a few random memories from my college days. Sis and I were able to room together my sophomore/junior year of college. Sheri (already a graduate at the time) and I, have fond memories of those days.
One summer prior to school starting, we took a trip together... just the two of us. We spent a weekend in Arizona. Oooh, at twenty years old it was my FIRST airplane ride. Isn't that funny! We spent a couple days in Phoenix and a couple days in Show Low where we visited my Grandmother. It was August and I remember we pulled over to the side of the road and took cute pics of ourselves amongst the sunflowers. We discovered that Arizona is a lot more than cacti and desert heat. We enjoyed the mountain air and the cool lakes which dot the area around my grandmothers home.

I remember that time in my life as being very fulfilling and fun and carefree. It was a time when I dreamed that my knight in shining armor would return from his mission to New Caledonia and we would live happily ever after. It was a time before I knew the reality of children with disabilities, before those sleepless nights, before mental illness. I was in control of my life. Working and paying my way through school gave me a sense of accomplishment and I loved the freedom of living on my own.

I marvel at how time changes things so drastically. Gosh, I love my children! They are the most important and fulfilling thing to me now, yet I feel like I'm being stretched, beaten and burned. I wonder if I can handle one more thing. Consequently, I've decided that it's time for a mommy break!

Big sister and I will be spending the weekend in a warmer place. Three days and two nights...no children, no husband. I deserve it! It's been 15 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)