Thursday, September 20, 2007

Straight to the H-E-A-R-T

A blog post by Billie about her little chatterbox, Eden, has been playing through my mind today. Eden recieved her cochlear implant almost two years ago. Eden is an adorable little girl who has overcome many obstacles including the ability to communicate with her family. Today, Billie posted a sweet video of Eden speaking in her cute little voice saying, "I love you".

"I love you" is an expression we all need to hear. As the mother of a non-verbal child I'm not quite sure when or if I came to accept the fact that I may never hear those words. Because Crew does have some hearing, he is not a candidate for a cochlear implant. Crew shows his love in a million different ways.... with a smile, his hugs and quick forgiveness. Have I ever doubted his love for me? Of course not!

However, the hope and possibility that I may hear those precious words escape his mouth one day has been on my mind today. As I put Crew to bed tonight I looked at him and said, "I love you". We gazed at each other, I repeated the words, "I love you" six or seven times and just as I was about to turn away he distinctly crossed both hands over his heart and I knew without a doubt what he was saying, "I love you too"!

We have worked and worked on teaching him sign but I can honestly say that this "I love you" sign he learned from watching his Signing Time video. My heart is smiling now!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)