Thursday, December 07, 2006

Use Your Words

Crew has been really lazy lately with his communication. I think that he has been working so hard on crawling that we've slipped up a little on the verbal/sign. However, recently when he starts whining, I will stop and say, "Crew use your words". A lot of the time he will stop whining and start jabbering. The jabber isn't clear-- at all, but I usually know what he wants so I give in because he made an effort to communicate properly.

Tonight we went to Redbox to get a movie. Since we were at McDonalds I decided to get 4 Hot Fudge Sundaes to go. DH and kids got in the van while I waited for the sundaes. When I came out to the van and got in Crew started screeching and whining. I thought he was just doing his usual "I don't like my carseat" protest. Holding a tray full of Hot Fudge Sundaes, I turn to him and said, "Crew, use your words!". He immediately stops whining and quickly signs "Please".

Now, how cute is that! I handed S a spoon and asked him to give that boy some icecream. After all, he deserves it, doesn't he?

4 comments:

  1. That is wonderful. Crew is seriously so lucky to have been blessed with the family he has. Mel you work so hard with him. I am so impressed. You are amazing. You can probally say that just when all your work seems in vain, something magical happens and it is all worth it. I love that little Crew. He is so smart. He knows what he wants and it is icecream. Your right, give that boy some icecream. :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. Really really neat.

    Hey, where is mine?

    Missed you today, they made the cutest bells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crew is very lucky to have you as a mom. God doesn't give us anything he doesn't think we can handle. You should feel so blessed to have a little angel.

    He definitely deserved that ice cream! Crew could teach my almost 2 year old a thing or two!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Wow, Mel, again it's like we've got the same kiddo! We've been reminding Jack to "Use your words" for several months now, and I'll tell you what...there's marked improvement! He 99% of the time will chose to try a word instead of whine or screech when he wants something. It's not a perfect system but it felt like a major wall came down when he realized words DO get him what he needs/wants.

    I am so proud of Crew -- give him a high five from Jack!!

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)