Saturday, March 07, 2009

Pelican Hills Resort & the Tuacahn 5K

Carl and I had an awesome weekend getaway in St. George, Utah. In the past, we have always stayed in hotels when we go out of town but this time we had the opportunity to stay in a condo, Pelican Hills Resort. I'll tell you what, this is the way to GO!

Everything was clean and spacious and quite fancy for us really! The condo came with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and dining room as well as the main living area. We enjoyed watching a movie on the flat screen TV and soaking in the large jetted tub but not at the same time. LOL.




Also, we realized our unit was accessible! What a huge difference this makes when you are dealing with a walker or wheelchair. We were a little bit sad that the kids weren't with us as they would have loved it! The resort also features a clubhouse with a Theatre Room, outdoor pool and hot tub, basketball and tennis courts, and a sandy play area for the kids. S & H would have been in heaven.

On the other hand, a romantic getaway for two was exactly what we needed. I've decided that every couple needs to get away at least every 6 months.

On Saturday morning, Carl and I participated in the Tuacahn 5K. I've been running these shorter distances for years but this was a first for Carl. We didn't know until we got there but the race was downhill for the first half then turn around and run uphill for the second half. I really felt in my groove for this race. The downhill part set the pace for me but the second half was really tough. I felt like I was pushing it really hard but didn't have a clue what my pace was because my Garmin died shortly after the first mile. As I crossed the finish line I looked up and was shocked to see 23:50! Wahoo! This was a 2 minute PR for me and I'm still surprised that I was able to pull it off. I turned around and started walking back to look for Carl. He wasn't far behind me... and he was smiling:)

As we waited for the awards I realized I've never seen this part of my husband before. I think it was runners high because he was talking to everyone, mingling and really enjoying himself. It makes me so happy when someone I love gets addicted to something I love too... running. Surprisingly enough, I ended up getting 1st place in my age group and 9th place overall.
The race was well organized and we walked away with a t-shirt memoir, medals and winners plaque. Don't get confused by the medals... we didn't participate in the Duathalon but they didn't have a separate logo for the runners. The duathalon was tons of fun and I would like to go back next year as a participant. I just need to find a bike! This weekend there is another race in Snow Canyon and Carl and I both want to go. Ah, wouldn't it be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)