Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Off to Zion

Last week we made a spontaneous decision to visit Zions National Park. Ever since I attended the Scout training last spring where they emphasized the importance of exposing boys to nature, I've been itching to get them out and do some hiking. I'm not sure how it happened but summer slipped right past us....

We hiked about 5 miles the first day where we visited The Narrows, Emerald Pools, and The Canyon Overlook. The Riverside Walk was our favorite and we were able to take the wheelchair. H loved looking for critters and was often out taking the lead. S also enjoyed all of the hiking and sightseeing... what a blessing!

There were several hikes that were accessible and we pushed Crew along as fast as we could. He loved the bumps and was often squealing with delight. We got some interesting looks from people but for the most part other hikers would pass Crew in his wheelchair and giggle right along with him.

Some trails weren't accessible so we just hauled Crew in the backpack. Every year I think it will be the last time we will squeeze him into the pack and then somehow we manage to do it again. I'm not sure how comfortable it was for Crew but he seemed to love climbing the mountain just as much as the rest of us.

At the end of the Riverside Walk we spent some quality time walking through the river. I know this is one of my boys favorite activities. They remember and frequently talk about walking through the river from some of our past camping excursions. I don't know what it is about nature and water but I too have some fond memories from when I was young.

The second day we were able to go see the St. George Temple and Snow Canyon. Then we headed up to Kolob Canyon where we hiked Timber Creek.

Towards the end, Crew started feeling at home in his backpack;) I love this picture of Crew snuggling up to his dad.


On Sunday night we started driving home but we knew if we kept going we would drive straight into a huge rainstorm. We decided to stop in Cedar (I love it there) and get a hotel. The boys had a great time swimming and it was nice to have clean place to rest. I'm really glad we decided to stay another night. Monday morning we drove to Cedar Breaks where it was freezing but the view was so worth it. The boys were great on the ride home. They have thanked us multiple times for taking them on this trip... it was so worth it!
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)