Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Communication: An ART

Have you ever noticed that babies are very skilled at communicating? Even without words... When hungry or tired they cry... when happy they may giggle or babble. There are so many little ways of communicating. We know what they want or need. We know they love us. This special form of communication is what I love about Crew. Developmentally, he has global delays. Verbally he is improving. Socially he is improving and I am thrilled with his special way of communicating with me. He verbally says "hugs" and will either hug you or kiss on the lips. He recently even started kissing his therapist on the lips too! When I ask him what he wants to eat I hold up the food item and say do you want this and he will either push it away or giggle. The answer is clear. When his brothers are too wild he grabs their faces. When people start yelling or rough housing... he screams or cries. I've noticed that Crew is very aware of contention and will immediately protest. Excitement produces wiggles. The spirit calms him and he chooses to be reverent. And recently.... after two years of coaching.... he learned to wave HI! I love it! He gets this big smile on his face and says, "MOM", lifts his arm into the air and awkwardly flaps his little hand back forth. PRECIOUS! I couldn't be more blessed.

7 comments:

  1. WOW! I love it when they start to show signs that things are sinking in! How wonderful for your family! Crew sounds like he really is growing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he is doing so well. Communication is such an important thing. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crew is an amazing little boy. He helps us all remember the really important things in life. I've can hear him in my mind saying, "Mom, Mom, Mom"!!! We just love that little boy, he couldn't be any cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jack and Crew have the same talent for communicating! I am now attempting to teach Jack to wave hello! Jack has grown with verbal communication in the past few months (but he's still soooooo very delayed). I always say you just need to spend a little time with Jack and you'll get what he's trying to communicate. I would love to sit Jack and Crew together and see what they come up with!!! WAY TO GO CREW!!! Here's a big HELLO and a big WAVE from me and Jack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too amd missin ya. Hope you are doing ok. Crew is a very special little boy.

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts and WhatNots are welcome here:)